Saturday, October 16, 2010

Learn a New Instrument

One of the most fun acts that I can think of is learning a new instrument. I grew up around instruments because my father is a musician, but I think I would have been drawn to music regardless. Whether someone is young or old, he/she can always learn an instrument. At first it is usually difficult to do much of anything on a new instrument such as playing a full chord on guitar or playing a consistent pitch on trumpet, but slowly, that changes. One part of it that I have found very important is reading music. I have always heard that it is good to do, but there are many ways of getting around it such reading tabs for guitar. The good thing about reading music though is that it is a universal language. You have to keep up with it to maintain it, but it is the same around the world. I see reading music on each instrument as a different dialect of that language. Learning a new instrument is also good for you. This link discusses many of the benefits of learning an instrument, but some include keeping the mind alert, stress relief, and improving memory. So if you've ever had an itch to try out guitar, piano, saxophone, cello, or any other instrument, turn the television off and give it a shot. It's fun and good for you!
-Emilio

3 comments:

  1. I agree that learning how to play an instrument is very fun and worth the practice. I have been playing the saxophone for 7 years and I have enjoyed playing it. There are many styles of music that reading can be very satisfying. Knowing how to read music well is very important for anyone who wants to be serious about music. Practice makes us sound better and might make us want to play our instrument more. Practicing reading also helps us be able to read harder music. Playing the saxophone has been one of my favorite things to do for some time now and it’s pretty cool to find someone who enjoys playing an instrument as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you dude, reading music is essential in you growth as a musician, whether you are training to become a performer, a teacher, or writer (especially writer haha, can't write a language very well if you can't read it). One of the most exciting things for me, as a musician, is to be able to sightread a semi-difficult piece fairly well, while still paying attention to the expression marks, and stylistic devices throughout the music. So satisfying! And gratifying as well, because the big bucks come to those who know their STUFF. So I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with both of you guys. My very best wishes for both of your musical journeys!
    -Emilio

    ReplyDelete