Saturday, September 25, 2010

What is Music?

Music is something different to each person. It is something universal as well as individual. Sometimes I stop and think about pursuing a career in music and ask myself, "What are you doing?"There is not much concrete product to what I am doing and rarely does it ever make someone rich. Music for me is something else. It gives me a feeling inside that I cannot deny. Enjoying live music, creating music with others, or learning something in my music studies gives me such joy. It is there with me through anything that I am going through. This past week, the director of the vocal department at Long Beach was talking about this and said that as a choir, we give "meaningless sounds meaning." If my music gives someone the feeling that I get when I listen to others' music, then I am satisfied. For me, this is what it's all about. It's about making the world a more enjoyable place through sound. I don't know what my future holds, but something tells me I'm headed in the right direction. I may not succeed, but I will not live regretting the fact that I never tried. If anyone else feels this way about music or anything that they do, I encourage them to pursue it. In light of all this, I am giving a link to someone who I think exemplifies what I wrote about: Bob Marley- Jammin' (Live)
-Emilio

No comments:

Post a Comment